Natural light headshots
Manchester based architects, Northmill Associates commissioned us to photograph new headshots for all their team at a new bar they had designed in Manchester’s fashionable Northern Quarter. We decided that natural light headshots would work really well with the textures and materials used in the construction of the bar. The bar has some interesting features inside so a few of the photos were taken inside the bar using a Profoto B1 portable flash and 1200mm Octabox. Fortunately we had plenty of height to work with but it produces amazingly soft light.
Manchester – a city rich in amazing backdrops
Manchester is a great city for natural light headshots as there are so many quirky locations to use which are accessible to the public. It’s important to make sure that you are in public places or, if they are privately owned, that you have the necessary permissions. In this example our clients had secured permission from the venue owners so we had complete freedom to do what we wanted and use the huge variety of backgrounds the location had to offer. Sometimes members of the public like to ask what we are doing, are we allowed to do it, what sort of equipment we are using. I’m always happy to take a minute, even on a busy schedule to try to answer their questions and reassure them that what we are doing is safe and legal.
This shoot was done in pre-coronavirus times, long before social distancing was even thought of but it’s worth mentioning because this shoot is a classic example of how headshots and business portrait photography can be taken within the social distancing rules. Here’s how we can photograph within the rules of social distancing:
- The normal working distance between subject and the photographer is around 3-4 metres
- Reflectors used are normally positioned at least 2 metres from the subject
- There is no need for physical contact between the participants
- Working outdoors in natural light and fresh air is a safe working environment
- We photograph one person at a time and we use timed appointments to keep people apart
- The photographer will wear appropriate PPE such as gloves, face masks etc.
- All equipment is disinfected before and after each session